Friday, October 14, 2011

One year old

Weight 20.5 lbs 17th percentile
Height 29 inches 26th percentile
Head 18.5 69th percentile

We had a small celebration for Aaron's first birthday this Saturday. My parents and brother had just returned from Florida, Andrew drove down, and our neighbors also joined us for the event. We all had a nice chicken and rice dinner (Aaron's favorite) then opened a few presents and ate some cake. If you are not aware Tim's family has the tradition of the one year old getting a cake shaped like a baby lamb for their first birthday. My family has the tradition of putting a sheet on the floor with their cake and letting them go for it. So we compromise and combine the two traditions -lamb cake on the floor. Although I would still like to know, why a lamb?

Aaron was super chill about the whole situation. He just slowly ate little bites and pieces of the cake. All of the kids wanted him to just rip into it but he just took his dear sweet time and enjoyed licking the frosting off his fingers.
Eventually he knocked head off - but that was to be expected since it broke when making the cake.
Then it was time for the rest of us to have some birthday cake. We are now costco members instead of Sam's Club members which I love, however there is a downside. Cake! Costco's cake was absolutely disgusting not even the children would finish a small piece of cake it was really that gross. I am still craving a chocolate cake smothered in butter cream frosting. Not to mention the costco workers thought I was crazy asking for a chocolate cake with white butter cream frosting. Apparently they only make chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, and white cake with white frosting. Anyone else see a problem with that???
Ian received just as many presents as Aaron did. He thought Aaron's birthday was a blast. Not to mention Monday morning when I received a call from the principle double checking to make sure Ian's birthday wasn't yesterday. He informed everyone at school that his birthday was yesterday and all of the presents he got (which they really were the presents he got -he just left out the ones Aaron received as well). The principal felt bad because they make a big deal out of birthday's at the school and they had Ian's birthday as May 29. I could not help but laugh on the phone when I informed the principle that his brothers birthday was yesterday. She too chuckled and mentioned that normally she would go by the paperwork but Ian was very persistent that yesterday was his birthday. When he got in the car I mentioned the conversation that I had with the principal. He got a big grin and said that he was now 5 years old. Nice try buddy but you are still my sweet and not so innocent 3 year old.We also received a package from Grandma and Grandpa MacNair that week with lots of other fun birthday surprises. Aaron is still getting used to idea of ripping the paper.


Later that day him and Ian enjoyed playing on the slide (again). Thanks everyone for coming and the wonderful birthday gifts. Aaron has been playing with flap books for days and loving it!

1 comments:

misswendy said...

Ashley-The tradition started with my dad. When he was a year old, my grandmother made him a lamb cake. They were taking pictures of him with it at the table and they put it too close to him and he started grabbing and putting his hands into it and basically destroyed it. My grandmother found it to be so funny that she ended up making cakes for each of the kids that followed. (My dad was the oldest) Anyway, I was the oldest grandchild and she was still alive and healthy, so one was made for me to destroy during my first birthday party. I think me getting one officially made it a tradition to be passed down to all generations. The only reason it's a lamb cake is because the original was and all the other ones my grandma made after that were. It's a nod to Grandma Shirley. The tradition is basically seeing which babies will destroy the cake and which won't. Gracie actually cried when hers was put in front of her and refused to touch it. Maddie had no problem eating hers. I don't think any baby recently has come close to the pictures of my dad completely demolishing his.